Abel Daugherty Remembered

From Louis Norris:

A couple of days ago I lost one of my closest friends, a phenomenal paddler, and an incredibly kind human being.

Abel meant so much to me. As a friend. As a kayak partner, and as someone who’s well-being and success I cared deeply about. Johnny and I are so proud to be his friend, and to see the progress he made in the last year of his life was deeply inspiring and humbling. He was a student of life. He wanted so badly to do things the right way- on the river and off. The last time I saw him was when he picked me up from SFO when I flew back from Madagascar. He was always there for me, remarking that “I can’t believe I get to pick you up!” We talked of many of the usual things on the drive- paddling dreams for the future, eccentric stories from my time overseas. He articulated how excited he was to move forward and continue chasing a good life centered around rivers. I feel so grateful for all the small moments and joy we shared together.

His love for kayaking was unmatched and infectious for anyone lucky enough to share the special places we explore with him. There are too many moments that stand out to me: long road trips, smashing fantasy just the two of us, hiking into middle kings, the cute guys link up, falling asleep next to each other on our z rests many nights. He gave me so much and I feel so lucky that many of the best moments of his life were with me and Johnny.

Over the last couple days I have been trying to find a way to publicly celebrate my friend’s life and everything that Abel meant to the people who got to know him the way I did. Words will never describe what he meant to me. I love you bud. You’ll be with me forever. See you in the next chapter. ❤️🙏 -Lou 

Continued: 

Last spring, Abel, myself and several other friends were paddling the legendary fantasy falls section on the North Fork of the Mokelumne. We arrived at the final large rapid of the trip- the crassly named “Show me your tits” referencing the hydrologic at the bottom infamous for thrashing kayakers-- and I decided I was keen to give it a go despite the high water. As I walked back up to my boat, our good friend AJ walked over to Abel and remarked “Damn, Louis is a savage”. Abel looked back at AJ full of anguish and replied “I know, I want to be a savage”. I ended up plugging straight into the middle of the feature at the bottom and swimming into a large pool, where I was lucky enough to have Abel waiting for me to pick up the pieces. We laughed as he helped me empty out my boat, and despite his earlier angst, I assured him that he was, in fact, a savage operator on the river.

Abel was the most humble and caring person I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. His admiration for his friends, and the people he loved was equaled only by the reciprocation we felt for him. A couple days later, on a subsequent trip, Abel ended up running the same rapid with a nearly identical result. This time, I was in the pool at the bottom, making sure my friend was okay. 

Many months before our individual demonstrations of proper swimming technique on Fantasy Falls, I invited Abel to accompany me down to the Cherry Creek race. In the short drive from Auburn to Casa Loma, our brotherhood was solidified. We spoke of many things. Abel was a great listener. 

Abel experienced the challenges and struggles of someone much older. Still, the purity of his soul, to his last day, remained unblemished. His own struggles allowed him to look upon others without judgment; He was infinitely kind, compassionate and understanding. His openness about the hard parts of his life, his honesty and his courage made others feel an immediate connection with him that is rarely experienced. He was unanimously loved in the kayaking community, and I can’t recall a single time in which we would pass another group on the river and Abel wouldn’t know someone. We would stop, say hello, and Abel would smile and laugh, enchanted with everything, and everyone around him.

There was perhaps nowhere Abels spirit shone more brightly than on the river. His soul sang as he existed in these special places, and his excitement was infectious. Several months ago, Abel myself and Johnny Chase were lucky enough to follow California legends Ben Coleman, Thomas Moore and Chris Madden down the infamous Yuba Gap section. Despite freezing temperatures and snow chalked granite walls, we made excellent time down the river (which, for those of you who know Coleman I’m sure isn’t much of a surprise). 

Fueled by Abel’s stoke, the younger contingency of our group (Abel, Johnny and myself) raced to the lower classic section of the South Yuba-- 49 to Bridegeport. Here, we chased the last of the daylight aided by supreme flows and the sort of harmony that only exists between the most special kayak partners. As we floated towards the takeout, the sun emerged from behind the gray storm clouds that had been looming all day. Johnny Abel and I hugged and took a moment to enjoy where we were. Abel announced “this is the best day of my life”.

I feel eternally grateful to have shared so many moments like this with Abel. I will cherish these memories, as well as his friendship, compassion and love for the rest of my life. I am so grateful to have known him, to have loved him, and to have shared many of the best moments in life with him. 

I invite all of us to carry Abel with us in our own lives. 

To be kind to everyone, to be unrelentingly passionate, to listen and see people as they truly are. To draw strength from our struggles, and to love and admire our friends with our whole heart. 

Thank you for everything Abel. I’ll carry you with me forever. 


From Johnny Chase

Abel was one of the best people in the world and one of my best friends. I’ve only known him for a little over a year but in that short amount of time we had the greatest time together. He was the cutest cute guy and by far the most motivated kayaker around. I can’t imagine going down the river without him while looking back over my shoulder watching Abel laying treats on everything. Cooking breakfast together and forcing everyone to eat the absolute disaster of a meal we had prepared. Him trying to convince Louis and I that he munches when he only eats two slices of pizza. Him getting lectured by Ashley every time he stayed at the house for how bad he smelled no matter how many showers he’d taken. How he and I would watch GoPro for hours while Louis has a full melt down. And how he always had the biggest smile on his face. We had so many plans of so many great things to do together as the cute guys in the future, I’m going to miss you every day buddy. I hope your out there on the river watching over us. I love you so much.

From Ben Hoxie

A Ball my guy. This is one hard goodby.

I followed you into the most amazing places. From that first fist bump on the summit run years ago, to that last one day Fant, you were always there to push me forward and show me those good lines. We grew into class 5 paddling together, you stayed 2 steps ahead. This worked out well for me as you where my favorite person to follow. And follow I did! You showed me down so many runs the list is enormous. I always felt safe around you even in the scariest places. You showed me this amazing skill called expressing random extreme gratitude... I am SO THANKFUL to share these adventures with you!

Out of the river you where one of the sweetest people I ever met. You asked genuine questions and where honest when you where asked. You loved pretty much everyone and everyone loved you. Even tho you never sought attention your reputation spread literally around the world. You were known for how cool you where and how hard you shred. Everyone wanted to paddle with you.

It would be impossible to contain my love grief or gratitude in a billion social media posts. You will be remembered in every boof ear dip or steezy line. Every time I randomly hit a rock or spin out. At the bottom of drainpipe or anywhere deep in the south yuba. Total reality vortex to the top of Autobahn. #3 falls pit falls chamberlain falls. None of these places will be the same without you.

I'm gonna miss you bud like a lot. This world definitely won't be the same without you. I know you have found peace. 💙

From Alex Mathews: 

Within a short time of meeting Abel, he became one of the first calls I made when heading to the river and one of my favorite people to spend time with off of the river.

Boundless stoke, unfiltered authenticity, a special kind of stubbornness, and a rare joy for the simple things that was both enviable and contagious.

Abel - Just like the kings hike in, you might have left us early, but we'll see you on the other side of the pass brother.

May the sand under the z- rest always be soft. Love you man


From Joe (Boofie Maine) 

Abel was like a brother to me. He was a truly genuine and awesome human on and off the river. I met Abel on the South Fork of the Feather when he was just starting his path of following the river. By fall we were working together and planning a trip to Chile! His stoke and high energy were so motivating and appreciated. I got to watch him run his first 30ftr, his first rips down giant Chilean bigwater, and even watch him drink his first escudo out of a river bootie! He soaked it in and grew with every experience, every feature he engaged, and every run he did! He did it all with a smile and a ton of stoke too! He was surgical with his lines and constantly growing at a rate few ever experience in this life! He loved the rivers, the people, the culture, the asados n discos w shared food n love. He loved it all. It was a great experience to be able to share and I will never forget it. I knew it was the tip of the iceberg for him and he could do anything he put his mind to. By the end of the trip I remember him talking about trying to figure out a job n way to sustain this wonderful life of rivers and he was serious he was gonna get it sorted. As he loved to say "I ain't playing no reindeer games" such a great Abel-ism haha. But he wasnt joking he was here to send it. I was so stoked to hear he was pursuing nursing. Also I was fired up how he was getting after it on the rivers and any time I could swing it loved joining him. The next season I had the pleasure of getting on his first Dinkey creek overnight! Again one of the highlights of my life to share such an experience with such a rad person. He was simply on fire 🔥! I still can't believe he's gone and i will think of him every time I go boating or see a sweet drop. Abel i love you dawgie! Get those boofs sorted for when the rest of us get there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Middle Kings Vacation

Bull Lake Single Push Onsight | July 2023

The Mangoro - Madagascar 2022